Whatever the size of your organisation, we have the experience and skills to develop and implement a plan that will see your charity increase support from Major Donors.
We strongly believe 2021 will be the year of increased philanthropy, as we begin to come out of the pandemic.
We are currently forming partnerships with private banks in Geneva and London supporting their clients with advice and support.
Abbey Solutions works in the UK and internationally. Our consultants have relationships with a broad range of HNWI and UHNWI donors.
In some circumstances we can help introduce your organisation to them. We have a dedicated site focussed at major donors, asiphilanthropy.org
Major Donor fundraising can be an incredible source of income for charities, NGOs and social enterprises.
However, it is vital to understand that this is about building relationships, understanding what a donor wants to achieve and being absolutely transparent at all times.
The lead-in period can take a couple of years and like all fundraising, there are no guarantees.
It’s not just about the money
Many philanthropists will also give valuable hands-on support to organisations, or offer the resources of their companies.
That business knowhow could be invaluable to a charity and will help to cement a lasting relationship.
Major Donor fundraising is not rocket science – It’s all about trust
People give to people. It is really that simple. Trust is at the heart of it. Trust in the charity. Trust in the CEO and the Trustees and Trust in the strategy.
Donors want to feel valued and appreciated and they do not want to be treated like an ATM or a solution to a problem. They want to make a difference to people’s lives or to the environment – just like you.
For many philanthropists, it’s not about making a donation, but rather making an investment.
What you need to keep in mind when developing your Major Donor fundraising plan
- Donors are just people like you that want to make a difference.
- Projects must have strong outputs and represent good value for money.
- Donors want to see a transparent organisation where they can track their donation
- Charities need to produce evidence that their work is effective.
- Donors understand projects are not always successful.
- Donors hate surprises. If something is running over budget tell the donor.
- Donors are not just making a donation they are making an investment.
Remember many donors are willing to take risks
- Carry out a full evaluation of your work, management and position in the sector
- Research your current donors (Individuals, Companies and Trusts mapping links)
- Carry out external research into individuals that may be sympathetic to your work
- Carry out in-depth analysis of similar charities to yours that run Major donor fundraising
If the research carried out above proves positive
- Prepare critical path/action plan to include who needs approaching.
- Companies such as wealth management firms and private banks should be included.
- Develop a 12 month detailed pipeline including asks and full details of HNWI /UHNWI
- Work with your team, trustees and senior management on the approach
- Provide bespoke in-house training if required
- Make direct approaches where appropriate
Why choose Abbey Solutions?
John Abbey has significant experience of HNWI /UHNWI fundraising in the UK, MENA, Asia and the USA. John has recruited new donors for charities and is highly successful at re-engaging with past donors. His skills are backed up by great research to ensure the best possible outcome for your organisation. We are also directly supporting major donors and have an independent website focussing on this area, asiphilanthropy.org
What you should be aware of before you commit to a major donor fundraising campaign
- Can take two years to realise your first donation
- Having a superb researcher is critical but so is having an individual with flare, diplomacy and energy that can develop relationships. This could mean hiring two new members of staff and that may cost you at least £80,000 per annum
- You need a strong USP and a fundraising campaign or project that is really going to grab the attention of wealthy individuals. Impact and sustainability is everything.
- HNWI donors need to see real passion and professionalism and a charity with a strong management team and track record
- The CEO and Trustees need to be fully engaged
- A charity’s finances must be totally transparent
Find out more about our consultants