Whether you are a small or large organisation we have the experience to help you implement a plan that will see your charity increase support from Major Donors.
Major Donor fundraising can be an incredible source of income for charities, NGOs and social enterprises. However, it is vital to understand (as I am sure you do) that this is about building relationships, understanding what a donor wants to achieve and being absolutely transparent at all times. The lead-in period can take a couple of years and like all fundraising, there are no guarantees.
It’s not just about money
Many philanthropists will also give valuable hands-on support to organisations. They have probably run highly successful commercial operations. That business knowhow could be invaluable to a charity. Yes you are a charity, but solid business planning supported by individuals that have achieved global success can only add value to your planning.
Major Donor fundraising is not rocket science
People give to people. It is really that simple. Trust is at the heart of it. Trust in the charity. Trust in the CEO and the Trustees and Trust in the strategy. Donors want to feel valued and appreciated and they do not want to be treated like an ATM or a solution to your problems. They want to make a difference to people’s lives or to the environment – just like you.
What needs to be in palce when developing your Major Donor fundraising plan.
- Donors are just people like you that want to make a difference in the world. It is your job to present to them projects that they are interested in and can have impact in the shortest possible time.
- Projects must have strong outputs and represent good value for money.
- Donors want to see a transparent organisation where they can track their donation and see what the end result will look like.
- Charities need to produce evidence that their work is effective and can be held to account
- Many donors are willing to take risks.
- Donors understand projects are not always successful.
- Donors hate surprises. If something is running over budget or there is likely to be a major change in strategy then tell the donor at the earliest possible opportunity.
- Donors are not just making a donation they are making an investment in the organisation.
Be realistic about your aspirations
John Abbey has significant experience in HNWI fundraising and direct experience in building relationships with celebrities. John can support you in developing your Major Donor fundraising strategy; helping to develop the contacts, and if required support in implementing the plan.
- Carry out a full evaluation of your work, management and position in the sector
- Research your current donors (Individuals, Companies and Trusts)
- Carry out external research into individuals that are sympathetic to your work
- Carry out in-depth analysis of similar charities to yours that run Major donor fundraising campaigns
- Prepare critical path
- Develop a 12 month pipeline
- Work with your team, Trustees and senior management on the approach
- Provide bespoke training In-house
- Provide small exclusive training programmes for up to 15 individuals over 3 days in London
Why choose Abbey Solutions?
John Abbey has direct and significant experience of HNWI fundraising in the UK, MENA, Asia and the USA. John has recruited new donors for charities and is highly successful at re-engaging with past donors. His skills are backed up by great research to ensure the best possible outcome for your organisation.
What you should be aware of before you commit to a major donor fundraising campaign
- Can take two years to realise your first donation
- Having a superb researcher is critical but so is having an individual with flare, diplomacy and energy that can develop relationships. This could mean hiring two new members of staff and that may cost you at least £80,000 per annum
- You need a strong USP and a fundraising campaign or project that is really going to grab the attention of wealthy individuals. Impact and sustainability is everything.
- HNWIs need to see real passion and professionalism and a charity with a strong management team and track record
- The CEO and Trustees need to be fully engaged
- Your finances must be totally transparent
For more details please call Joanna on 020 7859 4701